Following the publication of the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice 0-25 years, updated April 2015, schools are required to publish information about their SEND provision. In Wiltshire this forms part of a Local Offer which provides information and guidance on services for children and young people, aged 0-25, with SEND. Information regarding education, health, social care, preparing for adulthood and leisure can be found on this dedicated website 

1. How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

 We share information about the additional needs of individual children at transition meetings before they enter Reception. For in year transfers we contact previous schools where possible for information. We encourage parents to share information with us and to discuss and raise any concerns they may have as early as possible. In the first instance, parents should discuss any concerns with the child's class teacher. This may then lead to a meeting with the class teacher and Special Needs and disabilities coordinator (SENDCo) to discuss next steps. The identification of special educational needs (SEN) may also arise as part of our usual practice of teachers meeting with senior leaders on a termly basis in order to monitor and discuss the development and progress of all pupils. These are called pupil progress meetings.


2. How will school staff support my child?

 The classroom teacher will take responsibility for the daily provision for your child and will be supported and advised by the SENDCo where necessary. The teacher will discuss with you any support that they think is needed that is additional and different to what we would offer to children as part of our usual practice. If you and the teacher identify a need for a specific in-school assessment or involvement from any outside specialist services then the SENDCo will talk to you about this and seek your permission to proceed. The SENDCo then becomes the lead person for working with outside services and keeping you, and everybody in the team around your child, informed of key events and information.


3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

 High quality classroom teaching and adjusted plans and resources for individual pupils is the first step in responding to children who may have special educational needs and disabilities. For example, a child will be given the opportunity to record information in different ways such as using a camera or recording device. This type of teaching is known as differentiation and will enable your child to access a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum. If your child is not making the expected progress and has specific gaps in their understanding he/she may work within a smaller group of children. These groups, also called intervention groups, may be run:

·         In the classroom or outside.

·         By a teacher or teaching assistant who has been trained to run these groups.

·         By a specialist from outside the school such as a speech and language therapist.

Further specific support may also be provided through a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) – also known as a ‘My Plan’ in Wiltshire. This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher and SEN Team as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support and agreed by the Wiltshire SEND Team.


 4. How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

 We have an open door policy for any daily information that needs to be shared between school and home. Parents and teachers can arrange a more private meeting with the class teacher or with the SENDCo if there is anything of a more serious or private nature to be discussed. In some instances, a home-school communication book may be used.

Parent consultation evenings take place twice a year and there is also an opportunity to discuss your child’s report.

Parents are given information about the level children should be working at for their age and also about the expected rate of progress for maths, reading and writing. Outside services involved with some children provide reports and information about attainment and expected progress for health based needs, such as speech and language or physical development.

If a child is identified as needing an Individual Support Plan (ISP) to support their education then parents will be involved in helping the school to create this, and then in reviewing targets at regular intervals, usually three times a year or more if needed


5. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

 We are an inclusive school. We welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff agree that children’s high self-esteem is crucial to their emotional well-being and academic progress. We have a caring understanding team who look after all our children.

We have a full time Emotional Literacy Support Assistant who works with children either 1:1 or in small groups focusing on Social Skills and Self-Esteem. She also runs a ‘Bluey Club’ enabling pupils with a parent who is deployed to send a fax bluey to wherever they are serving; they have their lunch together and play games and chat.

Trained paediatric first aiders are available in school; all staff have been trained to administer Epi-Pens. If your child needs medication to be administered in school then you are asked to provide details of this. The school nurse Lucy Rubick, is available for advice and will write a Health Care Plan with the SENDCo when a child has specific medical needs.

The school has a system of sanctions and rewards for behaviour management for all children (please refer to the school Behaviour Policy for more information about this). Additional behaviour management plans or risk assessments may be used where needed, to support individual children who are experiencing particular difficulties.

The school runs a buddies system to support new pupils arriving. 


6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

 There are a range of agencies that work with our school. These include the Education Psychology Service (EPS), Specialist Special Educational Needs Service (SSENS), Behaviour Support Service (BSS), Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT), the School Nursing Team/Community Child Health and the Child Development Centre. Also Occupational Therapy and Children’s Services when appropriate.

We have Talkabout Counselling Service; two counsellors attend school on a weekly basis to support relevant children. We have Play Therapy in the form of a playbus which comes into school once a week and provides an 18 week programme of support for children who have been successfully referred.


You can find out more about the full range of services who work with schools at:


 In addition some of our staff have undertaken specialist training. Trained staff members include:

·         Two TAs trained in supporting speech and language

·         One TA trained in Talkboost

·         Two TAs trained in Narrative Therapy

·         Some members of staff are trained in Team Teach


 7. What training have the members of staff supporting children with SEND had, or are having?

We have a rolling programme of training and support for staff, based on the needs of the pupils within school. Staff can access more individualised training if they are supporting a pupil with a more specific need.

Medical training to support pupils with medical care plans is organised as needed.


 8. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?


Risk assessments are carried out for school visits including residential trips and reasonable adjustments will be made where required. Where needed, the risk assessment would include a meeting with parents as well as taking into account medical advice. The destination of these trips will be taken into account when assessing the needs of the children.

On some occasions an individual member of staff may be assigned to support a small group or individual child if the risk assessment indicates that this is necessary.

After school clubs are available to all pupils.

Health and Safety audits are conducted to ensure that the school provides a safe environment for all pupils.


9. How accessible is the school environment?

·         We have a disability, accessibility action plan and policy that is available on request.

·         FS2, KS1 and lower KS2 are fully wheelchair accessible.

·         We have a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing.

·         Visual timetables are used in all classrooms.

·         We ensure that the learning environment is fully accessible and inclusive for all learners.


 10. How will you prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

 We recognise that transitions can be particularly difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. As 93% of our pupils come from military families we are very experienced in the transition of children. We have a Parent Support Advisor/Transition TA who can discuss any concerns or issues you or your child may have regarding moving. Military families can also contact the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) particularly if you are being posted overseas

If your child is moving to another school:


·         We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.

·         We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

 ·         Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher to discuss your child’s strengths and difficulties and the strategies that have been successful. Provision maps, School Based Plans and Statement objectives/ Education Health Care Plans will be shared with the new teacher.

·         Where considered necessary a Transition Booklet will be provided by our Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA) for your child to share with you over the summer holidays, , with photographs of the adults that will be working with them, their classroom, entrance they will be using and other useful information for them to become familiar with prior to the new school year.


In Reception (FS2):

·         There are induction events during the summer term for all children who are joining the Foundation Stage in September. All children get at least two sessions to come and visit the new environment. The SENDCo or Foundation Stage Coordinator may arrange additional visits for children identified as having SEN and additional meetings will be arranged with parents and any other agencies who have been involved with your child, such as the Early Years Teaching and Support Service.

In Year 6:

·         The Year 6 teacher and/or SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCO/Inclusion Manager of their secondary school, Transition forms are completed.

·         The new school are invited to attend any reviews that we hold before your child transfers to them.

·         Your child will take part in focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

·         Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


A range of strategies, suitable for your child, may be used to support them at the time of transition. For example, if your child would be helped by a book/social story to support them understand moving on, then it will be made for them.


 11. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

 The school budget received from the Local Authority includes money for supporting pupils with SEN. The Headteacher and School Business Manager then decide on the budget for SEN in consultation with school governors and based on the needs of pupils in the school. The school may receive an additional amount of ‘top-up’ funding for pupils with higher level needs.

The school will use its SEN funding in the most appropriate way to support your child. This support may include some individual or small group teaching assistant support but this may not always be the best way to support your child. The funding may therefore be used to put in place a range of support strategies.

SEND funding may also be used to purchase specialist equipment or support from other services.

There are regular meetings to monitor the impact of interventions and SEN provision and the Governing body is kept informed of funding decisions.


 12. How is the decision made about what type of and how much support my child will receive?

 Each child is assessed individually according to the SEN Code of Practice and Local Authority guidance and a personalised support programme will be developed.

All class teachers meet with the Headteacher six times during the school year to discuss pupils’ progress. We also look closely at the provisions that have been in place and their effectiveness and impact on the child’s learning.

Additional assessments from outside services, such as an Educational Psychologist, Behaviour Support Specialist, Specialist Teacher for SEN or a Speech and Language Therapist, will help us decide what type of support and resources are needed.

Some pupils will also have a ‘My Support Plan’ (Non-Statutory My Plan) and these will be reviewed with you three times a year. Pupils with a Statement or EHCP (Statutory My Plan) will have an annual review.


 13. How are parents and carers involved in the school? How can I be involved?

 It is our aim that the school works in close partnership with parents and maintains regular and purposeful communications between school and home. Communication tools include:


• The school website

• Weekly newsletters informing parents of dates, events and items of school news

• Text messaging service.


The school’s fundraising group (PTA) organise fundraising events throughout the year to raise money for additional resources and are always keen to recruit new members.


14. How will I be kept informed about issues/problems with my child at school?

Any issues/problems will be raised by your child’s teacher, if there are ongoing concerns a home to school communications book can be introduced.


15. Who can I contact for further information?

The class teacher is the first point of contact but parents are welcome to contact the SENDCo directly about any concerns.

Useful contact details:

SENDCo:                             Mrs Kirsty Fletcher


                                             01980 652318

Parent Support Advisor (PSA) : Willow Flight


                                                07595 217572

Specialist School Nurse :         Lucy Rubick

                                                 01722 425154


If you are considering applying for a place at Larkhill Primary school and your child has Special Educational Needs or Disabilities, please telephone the office to arrange a visit if you are able where we can discuss your child’s individual needs.   

Other services that may help you if you are applying for a school place are:

Admissions and Transport:

Wiltshire SEND Team:

Wiltshire Local offer:

This offer is accurate now, but services are regularly reviewed and could change. All information will be updated as soon as possible to reflect any new service offer.

An invitation for feedback

This offer is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information.

If you would like to comment on the context of the offer, or make suggestions to improve the information, please email:


Our Annual Report for 16-17 can be viewed by clicking on the link below: